Final Reflection on Project Module Effective Communication.

Subject: Project & Module Reflection

I, Ahmad Amzar, a student of Mechanical Engineering programme in Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT), attended a module Effective Communication (MEC 1281) taught by Professor Brad Blackstone for the past 13 weeks. I knew the importance of communication in our daily lives, but I didn't see the need for proper communication. With a mindset of disliking it, I sat through the first lesson bitterly regretting attending it. However, the tables have turned once Professor Brad started the lesson proper. Only then I realised how shallow my communication skills were.


One of my favourite activities was the group project where I worked in a group consisting of members, Adley, Andy and Chester. We called for a meeting to source for ideas and discussed which was the most feasible idea to sell. That was the start to our brilliant invention ‘SmartNav’. A brief introduction to our project, SmartNav is a device which pilots the ship, gross tonnage 300 and above, autonomously in aims to maximise efficiency and safety aspects. We came to a decision that SmartNav will be our preferred idea as we know how global warming is taking a toll on us.


There were definitely ups and downs during the project time frame, for example when we had a conflict of ideas where the idea was not clear and precise on the functions and features of SmartNav. Fortunately, we had a good leader who called upon a meeting to clear our doubts. Some of the takeaways for the project is that I understood the meaning and importance of project pitch. I also tested out my pitching skills and improved through comments from piers and also Professor Brad which I value.

Coming towards the end of the module, Effective Communication, I benefited a lot through it knowing that I could use those skills when I join the workforce. Soft skills modules or workshops are hard to come by which is why I maximise my learning out from this module. Overall, Effective Communication is a knowledgeable yet fun and exciting module which I would recommend to my peers.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this clear, concise reflection. You manage to address your initial doubts about the module as well as the key project focus. It's heartening to know that once you got into the content of the module, you started to understand its value. I'm also happy to know that your team was able to overcome some of the rough waves of project development and eventually put together a fascinating design solution.

    Your skills also seemed to benefit across the various activities, and I can see that you were able to achieve some of your set goals: your confidence level in speaking was 'off the charts' for the final presentation. The way forward, as you mention, is to continue to develop with an eye on what's required in the workforce.

    All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts